week2 - rsync
We spoke at length about collaboration and teamwork in our classes this week. This program more than any I've taken in the past relies (and hopefully improves) on our abilities to work in small teams. Meant to prepare us for the jobs we'll have (also hopefully).
Something I thought was interesting in our conversation was how 'being professional' might mean not necessarily being friends/family with coworkers, but treating and respecting them as coworkers. I've always tried to connect with coworkers, become friends, maybe almost family. This has on more than one occasion backfired by creating an expectation on the part of one of us that isn't always met by the other.
I've found at my most recent job that keeping a bit of a distance between myself and my coworkers has significantly reduced potential misunderstanding like how we might treat each other. I still treat them well, maybe even better than I treat family to be honest, but I don't play/joke around as much.
I think in my group projects I can try to approach it the same way. Some elucidation of expectations, roles, responsibilities might be necessary, but I'll try to keep those purely work related. Hopefully, this will result in clarity and a little unattachment emotionally. I guess what I'm trying to say if when we crush our group project, I shouldn't be offended when no one wants to celebrate in Vegas with me.
Comments
Post a Comment