week5
Dune 2 has been out for almost a month. I went to see it in imax last weekend and I still can't stop thinking about it.
The story of where humanity might end up 20,000 years from now is interesting to me, especially given the current technological climate. We're being inundated with AI. Chatgpt this, bard that, ai, ai, ai. In Dune, humanity was ruled by AI, computers etc... Once they finally managed to free themselves, they agreed that as a race they'd never return to a place where computers and AI are needed, relied on. They focused instead on perfecting themselves. Manipulating their bodies and minds to solve the problems computers had been relied upon. Its a little fantastical, but the message really isn't. We're creating this thing who's potential for Power can be overwhelming, limitless perhaps. Will it always be on our side?
So many sci-fi books focus on this potentiality of our relationship with artificial intelligence. We're right at an inflection point, a spot where we're steaming headlong into over reliance. We can see its potential to help and serve. I'm guilty of this. We don't have ai overlords yet, but what's standing in the way? Will we heed the warnings of our sci-fi bards?
As a side note - what can I do to beat my budding reliance on these new useful tools? Am I losing my ability to solve problems on my own?
Comments
Post a Comment